There are many opportunities for day-trips and places to visit all across the southern dordogne region. The below are some of the more popular outdoor pursuits with visitors to the region: Walking, Golf and horse riding, with contact details for some of the local enterprises are below see separate section for Lot et garonne cycling holidays):
Walking in Lot-et-Garonne and Dordogne
The whole area described in 'south of the dordogne' is a pleasure for walking in and around. In Lot-et-Garonne the roads are quiet, there are often no 'gift shops' in a town, and the towns are less crowded. A perfect place for walking.
There are a myriad of quiet roads, tracks and footpaths to follow and explore. Rather than try and list individual walks here - there are simply too many - I suggest that you visit the tourist office closest to where you are to get full details.
Wherever you are in the region the tourist offices will be able to provide you with details of lots of walks, from a 30 minute stroll around town to a 20 kilometre hike across open countryside.
One particularly useful book that we use is 'Les Sentiers d'Emilie dans le Lot-et-Garonne' by Jean-Pierre Siréjol (and subtitled '25 promenades pour tous'). All the walks are between about 1 hour and 2 1/2 hours in length and the book contains a good selection in the area. All those in the book have been chosen because they are considered to be safe and reasonably easy for all ages. I don't unfortunately know if an English language version is available or the book can be found outside France.
Golf Courses in south Dordogne and north Lot et Garonne
There are many golf enthusiasts living in the area, drawn by the very good golf club at Castelnaud de Gratecambe, the more informal course at Tombeboeuf and by others in the area.
Chateau des Vigiers Golf and Country Club, Monestier
- Situated between Ste Foy la Grande and Eymet on the D18
- 18 hole golf course, restaurant, hotel and beauty treatments available at this golf and country club.
- Tel: 05 53 61 50 00
Golf Club d'Agen-Bon Encontre, Bon Encontre
- 2x9 holes, par 70
- Tel: 05 53 96 95 78
Golf d'Albret, Barbaste
- 18 holes, par 72
- Tel: 05 53 65 53 69
Golf de Barthe, Tombeboeuf
- 9 hole cours, par 36
- Tel: 05 53 88 83 31
Golf de Casteljaloux, Casteljaloux
- 18 holes, par 72
- Tel: 05 53 93 51 60
Golf de la Forge, Siorac
- 9 holes
- Tel: 05 53 31 99 76
Golf 47, Marmande
- 9 holes, par 35
- Tel: 05 53 20 87 60
VSL Golf and Country Club, Castelnaud de Gratecambe
- 18 hole golf course, par 72
- 9 hole course, par 27
- Highly Recommended
- Tel: 05 53 01 60 19
There are many stables in this area who can arrange various riding activities ranging from short poney trecks with the family to expedietions over several days.The area is beautiful and peaceful, with roads that remain fairly quiet even in the peak of the summer, making it superb for horse riding.
- Ecuries St Martin, Castillones 05 53 36 89 05
- La Chevauchée, Clairac 05 53 79 74 03
- Asinerie de Pinseguerre, Douzains 05 53 36 92 35 - This one is a donkey farm rather than horses and it is possible to visit the farm. Donkey rides in carts can be arranged.
- Centre Equestre, Duras 05 53 83 84 14
- Centre Equestre de Tourette, Lougratte 05 53 01 66 02
- Ferme Equestre de Brunet, Monflanquin 05 53 41 90 46
- Centre Equestre de Crouzies, Monsempron Libos 05 53 71 81 32
- Ladhuie Equitation, Montayral 05 53 71 11 47
- Ferme Equestre des Abrons, Pailloles 05 53 41 03 38
- Domaine de Lamothe, Penne d'Agenais 05 53 71 43 67
- Poney Club de la Marsale, Villeneuve sur Lot 05 53 70 68 75
- Les ecuries de Lamouthe, Villereal 05 53 36 57 25